[SAH] WG decisions aren't immutable. I posted this as a proposal for
reconsideration.

> > Experimental status worked for QNAME minimization.
>
> That's irrelevant.
>
> > It can work here, too.
>
> So could Informational; that is also irrelevant.

[SAH] It's hardly irrelevant given the successful approach taken with QNAME
minimization. It's a valid example of how Experimental status could work.

Informational could also work. It's not as accurate, but it is another option.

> The definition for the Experimental maturity level, taken from RFC 2026,
is:

> 4.2.1  Experimental
>
>    The "Experimental" designation typically denotes a specification that
>    is part of some research or development effort.  Such a specification
>    is published for the general information of the Internet technical
>    community and as an archival record of the work, subject only to
>    editorial considerations and to verification that there has been
>    adequate coordination with the standards process (see below).  An
>    Experimental specification may be the output of an organized Internet
>    research effort (e.g., a Research Group of the IRTF), an IETF Working
>    Group, or it may be an individual contribution.
>
> This draft is not a research effort, nor is it a development effort. It is
a protocol
> that can be used (and, to a limited extent, is already being used) on the
Internet
> today.

[SAH] I am suggesting that it SHOULD be described as a research effort because
of the specification gaps. Is it really a great idea to publish a Proposed
Standard that includes a normative reference that explicitly says that it
wasn't designed for this specific purpose?

One "already being used" example that I've recently seen
(https://ant.isi.edu/events/dinr2023/S/s43.pdf) describes itself as "research"
and an "experiment". Not as a prototype, or a proof of concept, but as
research and an experiment. That description aligns much more closely with
Experimental status than Proposed Standard status. I've asked Wes privately if
he could provide his own perspective.

Scott