On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Simon Kelley <si...@thekelleys.org.uk>wrote:

> /etc/hosts syntax would be difficult to translate into equivalent
> command line options, for consistency, something like
>
> --a-record = <name>,<address>
> --aaaa-record = <name>, <address>
>
> and
>
> --host-record = <name>, <address>
>
> which does a both forward and backwards would be possible, I've
> considered this before, but most people seem to like to split off such
> data into a separate /etc/hosts or another hosts-like file

If you're taking votes, I'd like to see this, it'd be nice to have one
centralized file for a dns config.  It would be nice to keep SRV/TXT
records right next to their matching A record, bind style.  Having PTRs in
the same file would put you one step above bind :)

Maybe take it one step further,
CNAMEs right there too.

Rob