Hi Albert,

I know performance is going to vary greatly depending on CPU horsepower, memory
available, etc... all platform specifics.  However, by performance, I am
interested in learning the following for dnsmasq:
1) How quick can dnsmasq service a dns request if the address is cached and if
the address is not cached?  I am interested in measuring best case performance
of doing a dns lookup of an address, as well as determining typical lookup time
for cached and non-cached addresses.
2) Is there a performance difference if the cache size is increased from
default of 150 to 1024 to 2048 to 4096 or more entries?
3) If there is a difference in performance when cache size is increased, how is
performance degradation characterized?  Is it linear?
4) Is there an implementation limit on the cache size?  What would be the
suggested maximum cache size assuming we have sufficient memory to support it?
5) Is there an estimate on memory usage per cached dns address?  I need this to
set cache size appropriately for our routers; some have limited memory and some
have much more memory available.  How much memory is required to store default
of 150 cached addresses?  1024 addresses? 4096 addresses? Etc.
6) How many dns lookups per second can dnsmasq service? Cached and non-cached
and mixed?
7) Is dnsmasq able to service multiple requests in parallel or is it
serialized?  Suppose two dnsmasq queries are received at the same time
(sequentially back to back)... first one for a non-cached address, and second
for a cached address. Will dnsmasq be able to reply with cached address before
it replies to the non-cached address query?  Is it handled serially or can it
handle both queries in parallel? If dnsmasq can process these requests in
parallel, how many queries can it handle in parallel?
6) Since we also use dnsmasq for dhcp, I would also be interested in
determining how long it takes to service a dhcp request to provide an IPv4
address?

Thus far, I have used "time nslookup" for individual dns address queries, but
time resolution is not very granular and also includes time to load nslookup
and print results, so it is hard to know exactly how much time is nslookup
processing and how much time is dnsmasq.  I have also found an opensource
program called namebench which is intended to help you benchmark relative
performance between dns servers; this reports best time response, response time
range (min and max), average time, and also attempts to test for all cached,
50/50 cached/non-cached, and all cache miss.  And of course, it compares the
dns server of your choice to various public dns servers.  So it is useful...
but doesn't give all of the answers.

I guess to put it another way, I am looking for enough data to determine the
best and fastest configuration of dnsmasq.  I want to tune our configuration so
we get all that we can out of dnsmasq.

I hope this helps,

John