The man page sayeth:
(http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html)

--hostsdir=<path>
Read all the hosts files contained in the directory. New or changed files are
read automatically. See --dhcp-hostsdir for details.

--dhcp-hostsdir=<path>
This is equivalent to --dhcp-hostsfile, except for the following. The path MUST
be a directory, and not an individual file. Changed or new files within the
directory are read automatically, without the need to send SIGHUP. If a file is
deleted or changed after it has been read by dnsmasq, then the host record it
contained will remain until dnsmasq receives a SIGHUP, or is restarted; ie host
records are only added dynamically.

To re-iterate:

Host entries from dynamically read files will remain in dnsmasq’s memory if
removed from those file/s unless dnsmasq is persuaded to forget them, either by
SIGHUP or a complete restart.

Personally I would find it a welcome option if dnsmasq could also dynamically
forget entries.  I suspect it is not as simple as it sounds otherwise it would
have been implemented.