On 01/01/2022 05:30, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> If I enable the filterwin2k option, the dig command will fail to query
> SOA, say, for the following ones:
>
> $ dig +short SOA bp.hyddns.xyz
> www.hyddns.xyz.
> $ dig +short SOA hyddns.xyz
> donald.dnspod.net. freednsadmin.dnspod.com. 1640510300 3600 180 1209600 180
>
> When filterwin2k option is enabled, nothing will be returned by the
> above commands.
>
> Any hints for this behavior will be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards

This is working as designed. From the manpage [1]:

-f, --filterwin2k
    Later versions of windows make periodic DNS requests which don't get
sensible answers from the public DNS and can cause problems by
triggering dial-on-demand links. This flag turns on an option to filter
such requests. The requests blocked are for records of types SOA and
SRV, and type ANY where the requested name has underscores, to catch
LDAP requests.

If you have an always-online dial-up connection, or any other type of
Internet connection that isn't dial-up, then you don't need to enable
the filterwin2k option.

[1] https://thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/docs/dnsmasq-man.html

Regards,
Aaron Jones