There has been no technical discussion of Moreau's proposal. There had
been no technical discussion on May 10th, when Austein offficially
directed the authors to disregard the proposal.

All of the opposition has been FUD and false claims. I have a longer
report in progress detailing these issues.  I am inclined to be
concerned about the FUD and irregularity opposing Moreau's proposal, and
I think the proposal therefore deserves greater attention.  As a general
rule, its my experience that bad ideas have obvious technical problems,
while good ideas cannot be so opposed, and so are opposed by FUD and
process irregularities. I'd say the odds are that Moreau has a good
idea.

Mr. Moreau, in his first message of April 30th, disclosed his patent and
offered free, universal, and unlimited terms [though I must qualify
this, as we haven't yet seen the actual license. It may yet turn out to
not actually be as good as it sounds now.] Speaking as President of the
LPF and as an ISOC member, there can be no better patent terms than
free, universal, and unlimited. I applaud his license terms, and his
immediate disclosure and forthright approach.

Some people, offlist, have suggested to me that it is Mr. Moreau who has
acted unethically. Mr. Moreau has not acted unethically, but his actions
in this particular subject have been exemplary.

I also note the people who raised patent issues recently aren't usually
anti-patent advocates; most of them have participated in (at least two
incidents that I know of) discussions in which they either supported
drafts with patents with onerous terms, or were not opposed to
non-disclosure of patents in drafts, or were opposed to RFC3979
anti-patent provisions. Or they've explicitly told me they supported
software patents. Most/all of what they stated was incorrect or FUD.
[incorrect/FUD, btw, does not promote an anti-patent agenda.  Facts
promote an anti-patent agenda. The pro-patent opposition would quickly
discredit FUD. Some facts can be found at http://lpf.ai.mit.edu or
http://progfree.org].  While I'm always pleased to have new converts to
the LPF cause, I am uncertain if their opinions represent a change of
view or just convenient ammunition.

Particularly, I would like to say that non-participation in the IETF (or
W3C, etc) does not prevent patents. Only __publication__ prevents
patents.

The law [in the U.S. and most countries] strongly encourages patents and
strongly disadvantages those without patents. [That is one reason the
law must be changed.] We (the LPF) do not expect people not to get
patents.  We encourage people to __publish__ rather than patent, but we
understand that this isn't always possible.  The LPF works to educate
people so that the patent laws will get changed. People with patents are
urged to forgo using patents for profit, and to make those patents free
with a free, universal, and unlimited license. Those that do, like Mr.
Moreau, are applauded.

                --Dean

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007, Rob Austein wrote:

> At Tue, 12 Jun 2007 20:47:57 -0400, Thierry Moreau wrote:
> >
> > Now that the draft-koch-dnsop-resolver-priming is adopted as as WG work
> > item, and that an IPR disclosure has been filed [2], I would request Rob
> > to revisit his (premature) directive regarding this work [3], and
> > retract it. Thanks for looking into this.
>
> <hat wg-chair="on">
>
>   To date I have seen no support for M. Moreau's suggestion from
>   anyone other than M. Moreau, nor have I seen anyone other than
>   M. Moreau disagree with my analysis that his suggestion is only
>   peripherally related to the topic of Peter's draft.
>
>   If anyone other than M. Moreau -does- wish to see Peter's draft
>   incorporate M. Moreau's suggestion, please say so, and state:
>
>   a) Why you think that the topic belongs in this draft, and
>
>   b) Whether M. Moreau's IPR disclosure addressess whatever concerns
>      (if any) you might have with respect to the IPR issues related to
>      M. Moreau's suggestion (if you have no IPR concerns, say so).
>
> </hat>

617 344 9000