On Wed, Nov 28, 2007 at 10:55:44AM +0100, Peter Koch wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 02:35:29PM -0800, John Crain wrote:
>
> > Currently about 60% New IP to 40% old IP... and rising slowly
> >
> > So clearly a lot of folks still need to up date their hints files :(
>
> part of that traffic will be due to old hints files, but priming was
> actually supposed to accelerate the migration.  40% of total L traffic
> seems a bit much for 1/13 of the priming traffic?

There is a bug in all current PowerDNS recursor versions where it neglects
to erradicate the contents of the hints file from its cache.

This means that both the old and the new IP address of l.root-servers.net
will continue to be used, until the hints file expires from the cache, which
is sadly only after 40 days of uptime.

I apologise for this bug, and promise that a fixed PowerDNS recursor will be
released swiftly.

However, I don't think 40% of the world is running the PowerDNS Recursor, so
there must be something else to blame, as well.

        Bert