On 30 Mar 2012, at 12:09, Ondřej Surý wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> since I am not sure if you understood my point (I am not sure if I was able
> to understand it myself :), I am summarizing it to the mailing list.
>
> I like the direction of your work, but I miss a way how to put more stuff
> under
> the named prefix.
>
> I would like you to update RFC2317 together with your document, so the end
> customers don't have two distinct trees in their DNS infrastructure.

+1

> F.e. if I have 1.0.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa prefix in the DNS and I have delegate
> it to the customer, how do I put my PTRs in?  The block owner would still have
> to delegate another "dummy" prefix with CNAMEs and you have to handle it in
> separate zone.
>
> BTW one more observation.  Since you don't have to do any zone cuts in the
> binary
> part, why not merge them into just one label?  E.g. something like
> 10.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa or 10001101.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa.

With the current scheme it's possible to delegate longer prefixes, and this is
a necessary feature.

The stuff Dan was saying about two alternate representations concerns me,
though.  As written, by default:

  192.168.64/18 is 1.0.m.168.192

but

  192.168.64/24 is 64.168.192

which is not a sub-domain of the enclosing /18 representation.

This way lies dragons, I think...

Ray