Ray and Ondrej,
   Dan Massey and I have been busy putting together a presentation for NANOG
which is in Vancouver next week.  We plan on having many discussions with
operators and designers there.  After we get enough feedback, we will get back
to you.  I know this is later than you wanted, but we want to get good
discussion first.
 - Joe

On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:19 AM, Ray Bellis wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2012, at 12:09, Ondřej Surý wrote:
>
>> Hi Joseph,
>>
>> since I am not sure if you understood my point (I am not sure if I was able
>> to understand it myself :), I am summarizing it to the mailing list.
>>
>> I like the direction of your work, but I miss a way how to put more stuff
>> under
>> the named prefix.
>>
>> I would like you to update RFC2317 together with your document, so the end
>> customers don't have two distinct trees in their DNS infrastructure.
>
> +1
>
>> F.e. if I have 1.0.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa prefix in the DNS and I have
>> delegate
>> it to the customer, how do I put my PTRs in?  The block owner would still
>> have
>> to delegate another "dummy" prefix with CNAMEs and you have to handle it in
>> separate zone.
>>
>> BTW one more observation.  Since you don't have to do any zone cuts in the
>> binary
>> part, why not merge them into just one label?  E.g. something like
>> 10.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa or 10001101.m.82.129.in-addr.arpa.
>
> With the current scheme it's possible to delegate longer prefixes, and this
> is a necessary feature.
>
> The stuff Dan was saying about two alternate representations concerns me,
> though.  As written, by default:
>
>  192.168.64/18 is 1.0.m.168.192
>
> but
>
>  192.168.64/24 is 64.168.192
>
> which is not a sub-domain of the enclosing /18 representation.
>
> This way lies dragons, I think...
>
> Ray

Joseph Gersch
Chief Operating Officer