On 04/05/2012 12:48 AM, Alfred � wrote:
> Here we go with part (B); if deemed necessary, please consider
> to provide feedback for the items below on the list.

Again, all items that are adopted without feedback necessary have been
omitted from this reply.

> (B)  Editorial flaws
> ++++++++++++++++++++
>
> (B.1) general -- terminology
>
> The draft should make more consistent use of signature timing terms.

Adopted your suggestions.

> (B.2)  Section 1 -- outdated text
>
> The 2nd paragraph of Section 1 says:
>
>    During workshops and early operational deployment, operators and
>    system administrators have gained experience about operating the DNS
>    with security extensions (DNSSEC).  This document translates these
>    experiences into a set of practices for zone administrators.  At the
> |  time of writing -the root has just been signed and the first secure
> |  delegations are provisioned- there exists relatively little
>    experience with DNSSEC in production environments below the top-level
>    domain (TLD) level; this document should therefore explicitly not be
>    seen as representing 'Best Current Practices'.  Instead, ...
>
> The tagged phrase seems to be outdated now and should be updated
> to reflect te successful deployment of DNSSEC in the Root zone and
> many TLDs.  As of today, the ICANN TLD DNSSEC Report (2012-04-03)
> ( <http://stats.research.icann.org/dns/tld_report/> ) says:
>
> | Summary
> |
> | * 313 TLDs in the root zone in total
> | * 91 TLDs are signed;
> | * 85 TLDs have trust anchors published as DS records in the root zone;
> | * 4 TLDs have trust anchors published in the ISC DLV Repository.
>
> So I suggest to modify the dangling sentence in the above quote to say:
>
>    During workshops and early operational deployment, operators and
>    system administrators have gained experience about operating the DNS
>    with security extensions (DNSSEC).  This document translates these
> |  experiences into a set of practices for zone administrators.  Although
> |  the DNS Root has been signed since July 15, 2010 and now more than 80
> |  secure delegations are provisioned in the root, at the time of writing
>    there still exists relatively little experience with DNSSEC in
>    production environments below the top-level domain (TLD) level; this
>    document should therefore explicitly not be seen as representing
>    'Best Current Practices'.  Instead, ...

Yes, that's what you get when a document is laying around for so long.
It used to be "the root is being signed" ;). But I have adopted your change.

> (B.3)  Section 1.2 -- clarification
>
> With respect to item (B.1) above, I suggest to even better clarify the
> definition of "Signature validity period" in Section 1.2 (1st bullet):
>
> OLD:
> |  o  "Signature validity period" The period that a signature is valid.
> |     It starts at the time specified in the signature inception field
> |     of the RRSIG RR and ends at the time specified in the expiration
> |     field of the RRSIG RR.
>
> NEW:
> |  o  "Signature validity period" The time interval during which a
> |     signature is valid.  It starts at the (absolute) time specified in
> |     the signature inception field of the RRSIG RR and ends at the
> |     (absolute) time specified in the expiration field of the RRSIG RR.

I don't see why this should be changed. Do you prefer interval over
period? Do you want the clarify that the times are absolute? This is a
non-issue in my opinion.

> (B.5)  Section 4.1.1.1 -- clarifications
>
> a)  The preamble to Figure 1 says:
>
> |  Pre-Publish key rollover involves four stages as follows:
>
> For clarity on first reading, I suggest to make this clause a bit
> more precise, in mentioning the role of the ZSKs in the figure:
>
>                            vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
> |  Pre-Publish key rollover from key 10 to key 11 involves four stages
> |  as follows:
>
> IMHO, there is no need to repeat a similar addition for subsequent
> figures because a sequential reader of the memo will take note of
> the elaborations below Figure 1 and not need to be made aware of
> similar context in the other rollover figures.

Or

  Pre-Publish key rollover from DNSKEY_Z_10 to DNSKEY_Z_11 involves...

> (B.6)  Section 4.1.5, list items below Figure 5 -- clarifications
>
> (c)
> In subsequent list items, I suggest to clarify the text -- where
> becessary -- by making the distinction between "old" and newer data
> more explicit, and -- in two instances -- an indication of the
> possibility of more than one DNSKEY RR (as in the Figure, due to the
> split KSK/ZSK scheme used) should be indicated by talking about the
> "DNSKEY RRset":
>
> |  new DNSKEY:  After the cache data has expired, the new key can be
>       added to the zone.
> ---                      vvvvv
> |  new DNSKEY:  After the old cache data has expired, the new key can be
>       added to the zone.

What is an old cache? I suggest "After the old data has expired from
cache" here.

> |  DNSKEY removal:  After the cache data for the DS has expired, the old
> |     algorithm can be removed.  This time the key needs to be removed
> |     first, before removing the signatures.
> ---                                             vvvvv
> |  DNSKEY removal:  After the cache data for the old DS has expired, the

"old DS RRset"

> |     old algorithm can be removed.  This time the old key needs to be
>                                         vvvvv     ^^^^^
> |     removed first, before removing the old signatures.

Best regards,
  Matthijs