Hi Marc,

Coming back to your review items, I only think point 1 is not decided
on yet. But I don't think this should stop progress.

You can find my responses in between lines.

Best regards,
  Matthijs

On 04/03/2012 11:11 AM, Marc Lampo wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> About 1) If the document is for the authoritative side, why not
> simply state so.  Instead of this confusing statement about
> relationship between authoritative and validating NS's ?

I believe it does state so, without confusion: The first sentence says
the document is aimed for people that are active at the authoritative
side. The second sentence says that we consider no relationship with
the people running the recursive side. You think the document can do
without the latter sentence. I think it is a fair assumption.

> About 2) So it is "two" steps ?

I made it three stages. ;)

> About 3) I forgot the word "corresponding", my fault there. As such
> the text is not wrong, please don't misunderstand me. But the
> parent the only way, for a parent, to known/verify that DS
> information is correct, is by querying for the DNSKEY RRset and
> check if the corresponding ( ;-) DNSKEY is indeed present. If it is
> not, there is no way the parent can distinguish between a child
> zone administrator performing a double-DS rollover or making an
> error ...

The text is not wrong, so we do not need action for 4641bis here.

My point of view on this topic:

As long as there is a valid DS with corresponding DNSKEY, adding
another DS is no error. Maybe you are afraid what happens if the child
zone operator removes the old DNSKEY and replaces it with the new
(mismatched) one. Now you have encountered the error. But such things
are not specific to Double-DS rollover, it can happen also without
being in a rollover: I could remove my DNSKEYs from my zone, and it
would go bogus. Same thing.

My point is, as long as the zone is able to be validated, there is no
error made (in terms of DNSSEC).

> About 4) I can agree with the present text.

Ok.

> About 5) Me too, I think published signatures should never be
> expired. Consequently, every key rollover will make signatures
> disappear that are, as such, not expired yet. From that point of
> view it makes little difference if signature validity period is a
> couple of weeks or months or years.
>
> But if the zone administrator uses long validity time with the
> intention not to recalculate regularly, this implies that the ZSK
> cannot rollover either. (and this is practice - out there, right
> now ! There is one TLD that has signatures valid till "the end of
> the current year", and never did any key rollover since it started
> with DNSSEC)
>
> To conclude : I can "just" agree with the present text.

Ok.