On Apr 13, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On 13 apr 2012, at 22:09, Evan Hunt wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 05:43:42PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
>>> i'm opposed to negative trust anchors, both for their security
>>> implications if there were secure applications in existence, and for
>>> their information economics implications.
>>
>> +1
>
> +1

-1

Simply put, I'm not a huge believer of recursive resolver (rather than client)
validation.  But if you are going to do it...

There are a few cases where it is valuable [1], but for every 'validate is the
right answer', there are hundreds of cases, like the NASA case, where the
authority is just screwing up.  And in those cases, the economics are that
DNSSEC is creating a DOS, and it is the one who's validating that's at least
partially responsible because it is both validating and deciding that its
clients should suffer.

This is especially true for ISPs.  If you want any other ISP to validate
DNSSEC, they need a mechanism like this so they don't suffer through the
problems that Comcast has already experienced.

Because practice has shown that it is the recursive resolver, not the
authority, that gets blamed.  Lurk on the Google Public DNS mailing list, and
you realize that even without DNSSEC, the resolver operator faces the blame for
brokenness.  Thus, at least for DNSSEC, resolver operators need to be able to
override validation easily and efficiently.

[1] And these cases require 'listen until you can get something that
validates': Just accept then validate gives the wrong answer in these cases.