Talked with Jim Roskind who did the QUIC talk back in Vancouver. I include his comments:

----

I actually discussed this in a hallway discussion at the Canada IETF meeting.

I think it would fit well, as it has the potential to offer zero-RTT connect (similar to what DNS over UDP effectively supports today), and yet it will better (actually) handle guaranteed delivery, as well as deal with large return packages (DNS Sec). DNS currently supports (sadly) an amplification attack of about 50x, and in QUIC, we worked hard to control this problem.

IT is also nice that it is encrypted.... which means that folks will get some extra privacy, and not reveal (to observers) what they are resolving ;-).

One hassle is that we do try to encrypt/authenticate... and with an IP address only (pointing to the DNS resolver), I don't see a clean way to have a cert providing authentication :-/. I guess you *could* implant (into a client) a combination of both the DNS resolver's IP address, *plus* an expected server name. Fun stuff to ponder ;-).

IMO, interesting, and plausibly nice, fit.

Jim

---------