DNSOP members,

Given our session today talking about protecting DNS privacy, I found an
interesting bit of synchronicity upon going back to my room and seeing this
article in my feeds about a compromise of at least 300,000 small office / home
office (SOHO) home routers  by a variety of attacks in which their DNS server
values were changed and consumers were redirected to other pages as a result:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/widespread_compromised_routers_discovered_with_altered_dns_configurations/
(and
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20140305_dynamic_dns_customers_check_your_router_settings/
 )

The actual report from Team Cymru was announced just this past Monday -
https://twitter.com/teamcymru/status/440488571666198528  and is available at:

https://www.team-cymru.com/ReadingRoom/Whitepapers/2013/TeamCymruSOHOPharming.pdf

Now, in this case the attackers compromised the local network devices and took
over control of the local recursive resolvers.  In this case of the attacker
controlling the recursive resolver, I don't know that any of the various
solutions thrown around today would do anything to help with this.  I don't
even see DNSSEC helping much here, either, given that the attacker could just
strip out the DNSSEC info (unless, perhaps, the home computers were running
full (vs stub) recursive resolvers that also did DNSSEC-validation).

I just thought it was an interesting example of a type of attack against DNS
that is out there now.

Dan

--
Dan York
Senior Content Strategist, Internet Society

http://www.internetsociety.org/deploy360/