Paul Wouters <p...@cypherpunks.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Dan York wrote:
>
> > I don't even see DNSSEC helping much here, either, given that the
> > attacker could just strip out the DNSSEC info (unless, perhaps, the
> > home computers were running full (vs stub) recursive resolvers that
> > also did DNSSEC-validation).
>
> If the domains were signed, even if you used the rogue DNS as forwarder,
> you would at least notice you are under attack.

As I understand it from the CERT Polska report, the aim of the malware is
to send people to a phishing site instead of to legit banking sites etc.

http://www.cert.pl/news/8019/langswitch_lang/en
(if you get a redirect try reloading the link)

If properly deployed, with validation on the users' end hosts, DNSSEC
would absolutely have prevented this attack from successfully stealing
banking credentials.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Northwest FitzRoy, Sole: Northerly, backing southerly later, 4 or 5,