On May 15, 2014, at 2:53 AM, Marco Davids (SIDN) <marco.dav...@sidn.nl> wrote:
> "The goal of the IETF is to make the Internet work better.

Indeed so.   And making things _other_ than the Internet work better can be
damaging to the Internet.   It isn't always, but it's something we need to
consider when evaluating proposals.

I think it's worth documenting this option because there's a code reserved for
it, but I think it's highly questionable whether it makes the internet better,
because it encourages practices with DNS that wind up violating the
expectations resolvers might have for consistency of zones and so on.   See for
instance my DISCUSS here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-cdni-framework/ballot/

This wound up opening up a huge can of worms about the various assumptions that
CDNs make about how resolvers will process DNS records, how this mechanism
interacts with DNSSEC, etc.   These things are definitely worth documenting,
because people are doing them.  But whether they improve the internet is very
much open for debate.   The CDNI document specifies other ways of accomplishing
the same thing that I think are much less fraught.