On May 7, 2014, at 1:13 PM, Suzanne Woolf <suzworldw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounds to me like a) support for working on edns-client-subnet (and
> possibly things like it in the future), with b) a resulting RFC as
> "Informational".
>
> I've found this discussion very helpful in solidifying the thoughts Tim
> already wrote about, particularly with regards to carrying out our new
> charter. Thank you all.
>

> best,
> Suzanne

I support publication of this “stupid DNS trick” as an RFC .. of some sort,
particularly given the breath of deployment.  That said, I’ve seen some of the
warts and am sympathetic to Paul’s aging architectural concerns and I think
some review from the abundance of DNS experts here will likely serve it well :-)

As for the publication track here, or any other [E]DNS extensions similar
application, whether deemed unorthodox or unfashionable, I don’t think there
should be blanket discretion and edict by the chairs, we have processes that
say what can be published on Experimental, Informational, or Standards Track,
IIRC…

Then again, perhaps DNSOP is not the place to document deployed and operational
DNS stuff and we should revive DNSEXT to discussed operationally deployed DNS
stuff, particularly given the charter discussions as of late.  Or, um..

-danny