Well OK, so it's a semi-dumb question. But if we're going to assign "magic meaning" to something, why not assign "magic meaning" to the null address *specifically*in*the*context*of*SMTP*message*delivery*strategy*, i.e. auto-fail messages destined for the null address and never retry them?

To nitpick your standards point about the null address, Section 2.5.2 of RFC 4291 says that the IPv6 null address (which it idiomatically calls "the unspecified address")

"must not be used as the destination address of IPv6 packets or in IPv6 Routing headers"

which effectively amounts to "no service here". Can't get there.

I haven't gone back to see if the IPv4 null address has been similarly clarified/redefined, because, who still uses IPv4 anyway? :-)

                                            - Kevin