OK, fair enough. Just as long as we understand and properly record the design decision that was made here:

I.e. we're more afraid of the negative consequences of software/OSes that don't treat null addresses reasonably (i.e. pointless/doomed retries, possible self-looping) than we are of the negative consequences of software that is slow or defective in their adoption of the new magic meaning of root-name MX targets (i.e. pointless/doomed A/AAAA queries of the root name).

                                                - Kevin