On Oct 23, 2014, at 7:23 AM, Mwendwa Kivuva <kiv...@transworldafrica.com> wrote:
> and given the weakness of the Reverse DNS access for security purposes, what
> problem is this draft trying to solve? If we need to find the host that has
> sent an email associated with an address, would we better let DKIM address
> that without a separate lookup in the receiving server? DKIM detects email
> spoofing by using digital signature allowing receiving mail exchangers to
> check that incoming mail from a domain is authorized by that domain's
> administrators.

For me at least the main values of the reverse DNS are:

- answers the question "what host is contacting me" in situations where I am
_not_ under attack, which is really useful in logs and other debugging and
network management settings.
- provides place to hang information relating to a host's IP address

DKIM is a solution that is applicable only to a specific protocol, so it can't
address this in a general way.   Like you I would like to see the end of the
use of reverse lookups for "security," but reverse lookups are still useful.