On 10/23/14 5:17 PM, "Mark Andrews" <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

>In message <d06e91ee.72e46%...@asgard.org>, Lee Howard writes:
>>
>> From:  Mwendwa Kivuva <kiv...@transworldafrica.com>
>> Date:  Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:23 AM
>> To:  dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
>> Subject:  [DNSOP] Draft Reverse DNS in IPv6 for Internet Service
>>Providers
>>
>> > Refering to the draft by Lee Howard
>> > https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-dnsop-ip6rdns-00
>> >
>> > and given the weakness of the Reverse DNS access for security
>>purposes, wha
>> > problem is this draft trying to solve?
>>
>> There is a common expectation that ISPs will populate PTR records for
>>their
>> customers.
>>
>> In my opinion, that is an unreasonable expectation, since ISPs do not
>>have
>> host names for customers, so they usually make up a name. That seems
>>pretty
>> useless to me. However, I don't think that is a consensus opinion, so
>>it's
>> not what the draft says.
>
>But it is not unreasonable to delegate a zone or to accept DNS UPDATE
>requests
>from the host you have just assigned a IP address to over TCP.

Not sure of the antecedent of "you."  If "you" are a DHCPv6 server, you
are not necessarily a DNS server authoritative for the ip6.arpa zone in
question and capable of accepting DNS updates. Especially if "you" are a
DHCPv6 server on a home router.

You (Mark Andrews, not the servers) have proposed mechanisms for
facilitating that communication; that would help.

>       zone "ip6.arpa" {
>               update-policy { grant * tcp-self * ptr; };
>       };
>
>       reverse=`arpaname ${ip_address}`
>       hostname=`hostname`

And residential hosts only know hostname, not domain name; is
"myMacBook.local" useful as a PTR?  I haven't checked with users of PTRs
to see what they think.

Lee