On Tue, 24 Mar 2015, Francis Dupont wrote:

So I propose:
- make clear that TCP support is mandatory.
- allow servers to use the timeout they like, even a zero timeout
 (the last point should be discussed). Note a zero timeout doesn't
 mean "send the response and close" but "send the response, check
 there is not pending query, and close".

Are you aware of draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01 ?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01

Now there are the not technical questions to solve first:
- is DNSOP chartered to do this? Point 4 says "protocol maintenance"
 and point 5 allows more if the area director agree.

I believe that was specifically changed to accomodate for this, yes.

- is 5966bis the right place? I don't think so but another
 document means the 5966bis will be delayed...

If signaling for this is needed, then a separate document would be good.

Paul