On 30 Apr 2015, at 16:40, George Michaelson wrote:

> economy and economycode is a useful concept sometimes. it avoids the CN/TW
> issue. and encompasses HK.
>
> state or territory can be useful. covers some of the intermediate things.
> eg much of the CIS is a 'transitional state' according to the UN.
>
> iso-3166 encompasses non-state entities, AP is reserved for the african
> fisheries forum.
>
> EU is delegated. its not the same as INT.
>
> BTW, at some stage, its possible the economies will usurp the 3 letter
> codes and assert a right to have them in the DNS...

Also note that there are ccTLDs allocated for codes that are not registered in
ISO3166 (UK, EU etc).

Suggested new text:

ccTLD -- A TLD that is allocated to distinct economies.  Historically, these
were two-letter TLDs, and were allocated to economies using the two letter code
for the economy taken from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 standard [ISO3166] although
exceptions exists. In recent years, there have been allocations of TLDs that
conform to IDNA2008 ([RFC5890], [RFC5891], [RFC5892], [RFC5893], and
[RFC5894]); these are still treated as ccTLDs for policy purposes.

   Patrik