On 1 May 2015, at 08:31, Patrik Fältström <p...@frobbit.se> wrote:

> Also note that there are ccTLDs allocated for codes that are not registered
> in ISO3166 (UK, EU etc).

IIUC these two are on the 3166 list as exceptionally reserved codes.

> Suggested new text:
>
> ccTLD -- A TLD that is allocated to distinct economies.  Historically, these
> were two-letter TLDs, and were allocated to economies using the two letter
> code for the economy taken from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 standard [ISO3166]
> although exceptions exists. In recent years, there have been allocations of
> TLDs that conform to IDNA2008 ([RFC5890], [RFC5891], [RFC5892], [RFC5893],
> and [RFC5894]); these are still treated as ccTLDs for policy purposes.

I think it is unwise to use terms like "economies". Some ccTLDs on ISO 3166 are
uninhabited and/or have no economy. Mentioning allocation could raise the
unwelcome issue of who/what these TLDs get allocated to.

This definition may be better:

ccTLD -- A two letter string taken from the ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 standard
[ISO3166] although there are some exceptions. TLDs conforming to IDNA2008
([RFC5890-4]) have been created for some of these ccTLD and these IDNA2008
strings are treated as ccTLDs for policy purposes.