Alt being semantically overloaded in times past, contextually even in
domain names (Usenet, the great renaming)  It seems highly unwise to
ignore that historic understanding that people thought it meant the
same thing as "burning man"

The string >not-dns< has two useful properties: its not currently
semantically loaded, and its meaning is unambiguous.

It has a third useful property: Its ugly.

Personally, I favour use of the unicode U+FFFD � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

-G