Fujiwara-san,

I was strongly opposed to the idea after your DNS-OARC presentation
and I am glad you are continuing the effort :).

I had some private conversation with Ralf Weber from Nominum and
we have conducted few experiments (and I plan to do more).

My biggest concern is that your draft is missing the impact on the
authoritative side:

1) what should happen when there's wrong NS at the child?
2) what should happen when there's no NS at the child?
3) what should happen in 1) and 2) when they are at the same server (generally
the child NS is served)?

The most practical thing would be to require that child and parent NS MUST
match, but we would
be saying at the same time that it won't be used at all.

The second concern is about TTL. You dismiss it very quickly in 5.4, but
implementation wise - it would be probably best to split "delegation" and RR
caches as you generally the query for:

"example.com." IN NS

should return child records with child TTL, but the delegation at parent could
have different values with different TTL. Also I can imagine this will be very
confusing to end-users - when I query my resolver for "IN NS" I generally want
to know when the changes in the delegations will be reflected.

One possible way might be to return child NS in ANSWER and parent NS in
AUTHORITY section in such case - but this needs to be addressed in the draft.

This will also have an impact on registries - usually the TTL at the parent is
picked by the registry, but when the TTL at the parent could have such strong
impact on the resolver behavior, the registries would have to modify their
systems to allow TTL specification per delegated domain. This applies
especially in the cases when the registry picks some large (but still
reasonable) number for TTL.

P.S.: I am not so strongly opposed to the idea since I think a more
deterministic approach to the resolution is generally a good thing, but I think
there are many thing that need to be addressed before we can consider this to
be an official standard and change in the paradigm how the domains are resolved.

Cheers,
Ondrej

--
 Ondřej Surý -- Technical Fellow
 CZ.NIC, z.s.p.o.    --     Laboratoře CZ.NIC