----- Original Message -----

Not only replace - but the ecosystem changes.  If you wake-up a device
that has been in box for 10 years, it has woke up to a work where
Let's Encrypt is largest CA.  And how likely it has support for modern
crypto, or heck even for SHA2 CA trust anchors.

If your device supports crypto it has to be vendor supported for all
those 10 years, because frankly the world spins so fast now, that there
are so many little things that could break, that DNSSEC is a least of
your problems.

Vendor has to provide a way how upload a new firmware (possibly in a way
a common user can do that).  Our phones are supported for 2-3 years and
that's only when we are lucky.  I strongly believe that you have built
an use case to prove something is wrong, but I think it's your use case
that's wrong in this case.

Cheers,
--
 Ondřej Surý -- Technical Fellow