btw this is not in any sense a novel problem. Anyone who owns a Dell,
and uses iDrac will be familiar with the "your certificate chain to
this console java app is expired" problem. It can be fixed, but it
requires effort.

And alongside the crypto age-out problem, the dependency on java is
increasingly a problem: browser-embedded java no longer runs in Chrome
due to deprecation of the NAPI model, so you may well find you cannot
run the signed code blob for reasons un-related to the crypto, after
10 years.

I welcome people designing models to try and deal with age-of-system,
but making this make-or-break for DNSSEC keyroll at the apex is I
think, stepping too far. Given what has been said about out-of-band
repositories of the longer-term keystate, you should be able to
construct trust in the aged key transition to the new key and move on
with your life.

I am more worried that inside 10 years, trust in the private key may
become false. What do you propose doing, if your sealed unit box comes
up with what in the future is morally MD5 password with no salt and
the value 'calvin' ?

-G