On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 01:53:52PM -0800, internet-dra...@ietf.org wrote:
> Abstract:
>    This document describes a method for expressing DNS response policy
>    inside a specially constructed DNS zone, and for recursive name
>    servers to use such policy to return modified results to DNS clients.
>    The modified DNS results can stop access to selected HTTP servers,
>    redirect users to "walled gardens", block objectionable email, and
>    otherwise defend against attack.  These "DNS Firewalls" are widely
>    used in fighting Internet crime and abuse.

This doesn't magically make it possible for this DNS firewall to forge
DNSSEC-signed data, so if a validating end-system is going to have its
behavior modified, it would need to opt in.  (Whatever that means if
it's legally required to participate.)

But it looks like the contents of this zone are intended to be kept
secret from end-users.  The option to use other recursive resolvers
provided in 12.1 ignores that access to them could be blocked.

I could imagine a world in which the response to this draft is to
accelerate DNSSEC deployment [maybe optimistic]. That would highlight
where this is being used, since only affected domains would have their
lookups broken.  The natural counter to that would be to deliberately
break DNSSEC everywhere to blind end-users to where they're being lied
to.

So this, if implemented, is ultimately a DNSSEC-killer.

--
Scott Schmit