On Mar 23, 2017, at 4:11 PM, Dan York <y...@isoc.org> wrote:
> I ask in part because if the IETF did decide to go down the route of
> interacting with ICANN to make special exceptions in the root zone, these are
> exactly the kind of questions I could see people at ICANN asking.  It would
> also speak to the timeframe question. If there are people clamoring for this
> functionality, that might raise its priority.

I can see ICANN people asking these questions too.   However, I wonder if this
is really the right approach.   If the IETF has the right under the MoU to ask
for root delegations, then it seems to me that the IETF should just be allowed
to ask.   There should obviously be a process, and the IETF should not ask
frivolously, and certainly shouldn't ask as a way to bypass the gTLD process.
But ultimately it doesn't make sense to me for ICANN to ask this question.

Either IETF can ask for technical-use TLDs to be delegated, or it can't; the
question from ICANN's perspective ought to be "(a) is this a technical use?  if
not, IETF has no special access.   if so, (b) is the name in dispute?   If so,
IETF can't have it.   If not, IETF can have it."   Of course, I'm sure that's
hopelessly naive, but the point is that we need to have this conversation and
figure this out.   This is true whether the IETF goes ahead with .homenet or
not, so whether this is hard or not really shouldn't be a determining factor in
whether we try to get .homenet delegated.

That said, of course you can ask this question _in the IETF_ and maybe it's a
good question.   The answer is that there is a lot of _interest_, but it's not
clear to me that this interest will transform immediately into product on the
shelf.   My expectation is that it will start out in open source distros, and
in a few high end boxes, and trickle down.   I know various vendors and
operators have expressed strong interest in this in the past, but the
difficulty of making any forward progress at all within the IETF (this being an
example) has been discouraging for them.

So at this point I can't promise that if we build it they will come; they are
already here, but they are a bit frustrated, and that could have a negative
impact on deployment.   But we wouldn't be trying to build this if we didn't
think it was worth building.