On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 02:34:48PM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> This basically means that BULK is a master-only feature, which implies
> that there's no need for BULK to work across zone transfers, which implies
> the need to standardize it for interop is almost nonexistent.

I don't think that follows.

The DNS market is, like the mail market did some while ago, undergoing
a period of consolidation in which a fairly small number of people
have a very large number of dependent customers.  Unfortuantely,
whereas mail is asynchronous, DNS is effectively synchronous: if the
provder has a bad day and you can't get an answer the site is down.
This means that customers want to have multiple different vendors as
their master, and they want the secondaries of those sources to offer
as much as possible the same features, even when various DNS Tricks
are in use; and they want the downstreams to be using standard
protocols.  The more we can make interoperate to support that, the
better off those users are.

It is possible this is not a case that will work for that (see John
L's note), but I think the argument that master-only features don't
need to surive zone transfers is mistaken.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
a...@anvilwalrusden.com