> On 12 Aug 2017, at 22:35, Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com> wrote:
>
> That is, the title of the document should be "DNS servers should return
> NXDOMAIN for localhost" and the abstract should say why, and then the bit
> about stub resolvers translating "localhost" to a reachable identifier for
> the localhost such as 127.1 or ::1 should be the thing that's mentioned as an
> aside.

RFC 6761 requires recursive servers to return positive 127.0.0.1 and ::1
to NXDOMAIN.

Should there also be some text about the wisdom (or otherwise) of localhost
entries in public zones? E.g. localhost.cam.ac.uk - see also
http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2008/Jan/270 and the follow up messages from
Florian Weimer and David Malone.

Tony.
--