Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Dear colleagues,

Joe Abley and I have just submitted a draft
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-sullivan-dnsop-refer-down/)
that is intended to capture the discussion here about referrals and
how to describe them.  It is intended for BCP, and it discourages
upward referrals by authoritative servers.

That leaves the task of the referrals definition.  I have some new
text below:

---%<---cut here---

The second is an upward referral (sometimes described as "root
referral" or just "referral response", as distinct from the delegation
response above), where the server is not authoritative for any portion
of the QNAME.  When this happens, the referred-to zone in the
Authority section is usually the root zone (.).  In normal DNS
operation, this kind of response is not strictly speaking required to
work, and in practice some authoritative server operators will not
return referral responses beyond those required for delegation.

---cut here--->%---

Comments, please.  Also, Joe and I solicit comments on the referrals
draft proper, but it would be nice to put that in a different thread.

what would "to work" mean in the above text? if you ask some authority server a question, it is either authoritative for some part of it in which case you'll get NOERROR and either an answer or a referral, or it is not authoritative and nothing it can tell you will help in any way other than some kind of "i am not authoritative for any part of the question you have asked me".

that an upward referral could "work" in the above-reference sense seems to imply that the authority server you've queried, knows more about where the zone really is, than you could learn by walking down from the root. that's a walking talking nonsequitur. could you tell me what you really mean by "to work" since it can't possibly be that?

--
P Vixie