> "Not strictly speaking required to work" was intended to observe that,
> if you didn't get a referral under this condition, nothing ought to
> break (or, if it did, it was already broken).

I think the phrasing is unclear because "this response is not required to
work" is ambiguous. The response *itself* doesn't have to work?  Or the
resolver can get along without this response?  I took it to mean the
latter, but I see how it could be confusing.

I'd suggest something like "this response is not strictly speaking
necessary, as it provides no information the resolver didn't already
have; resolution can succeed without it."

--
Evan Hunt -- e...@isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.