> On 3 Jan 2018, at 1:33 pm, Geoff Huston <g...@apnic.net> wrote:
>
>> This answer doesn't seem to fully address Robert's and Ray's questions. Why
>> use an A/AAAA query if you aren't going to do anything with the result? If
>> you are going to use A/AAAA, you have to tell resolvers what to return in
>> the results. Using a new RRtype would have clearer semantics.
>

> The motivation behind this draft is to be able to perform a large scale
> measurement of the readiness of users for a pending roll of the KSK, or the
> measurement of the extent to which users are using a DNS environment that is
> NOT ready for a KSK roll.
>
> Large scale user measurement is not easy - small scale measurements tend to
> have a problem in measurement bias, so if we are looking for some random
> selection mechanism that can measurement in the order of millions of sample
> points each day then either one would need to place the test on a very
> popular web site used across the entire Internet, or use online ads.
>
> In both cases the measurement uses a browser to perform the text, scripting
> the test using HTML5. The simplest form of such a test is to GET a URL - if
> the client contacts the http(s) server then as long as the DNS name is
> suitably unique, we have a decent signal that the client’s DNS was able to
> resolver the DNS name. But in a browser you cannot perform an arbitrary DNS
> query - the DNS query made by the browser is the side-effect of a GET and
> therefore the query is for an A or AAAA record.
>
> To keep things simple we look for the outcome of the DNS by implication: if
> the client contacts the HTTP(s) server then we can infer that the client’s
> DNS resolved correctly.

I have been asked off-list the question: “Which HTTP(s) server are you
referring to here?”

At the risk of heading waaaay down potentially spurious ratholes here let me
quickly explain what I meant. Within the structure of a browser-based scripted
test, such as you might find in an online ad script, the common operation
within the script is to perform a GET of a URL. A common approach in
measurements of this form is to direct all the GET operations to a server that
is part of the experiment rig. That way you don;t need the client running the
measurement script to report its own results - the results can be constructed
from  analysis of the logs of the HTTP(s) servers. An examination of the HTTP
log files can reveal which URL name was used to retrieve a named URL web
object, and if the experiment is careful to present a uniquely-named DNS name
within each URL, then the URL names collected by the experiment’s servers can
infer which clients were able to successfully resolve the corresponding DNS
names.