On Nov 1, 2018, at 8:40 AM, Joe Abley <jab...@hopcount.ca> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2018, at 16:27, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@icann.org> wrote:
>
>> The current ZONEMD draft fully supports algorithm agility. What it doesn't
>> support is multiple hashes *within a single message*. Having seen how easy
>> it is to screw up OpenPGP and S/MIME message processing to handle multiple
>> hashes, I think having one hash per zone is much more likely to work.
>
> Suppose everybody supports digest algorithm A (e.g. it's the digest type that
> was mandatory to implement in the original specification). We use that in our
> ZONEMD RR because we have high confidence that clients will support it.
>
> At some later time digest algorithm B emerges which has some advantages over
> algorithm A. B is newer and not all software supports it. We would like to
> use B because its advantages are attractive to us, but we also want all of
> our clients to be able to use the ZONEMD RRs we publish.
>
> Since B is new we have lower confidence that it is supported by our current
> clients.
>
> We cannot use both A and B simultaneously on the publication side, since the
> specification requires us to choose just one.
>
> There is no signalling mechanism that will give us insight into our client
> population's support of algorithm B, even if we have non-empirical
> expectations that support will increase over time.
>
> Since we don't want to break things, we cannot use B.

Exactly right. This is precisely the problem that OpenPGP and S/MIME looked at
when they created their multisig formats. And the results are incredibly
complicated code for validation. It also leads to unanswerable questions like
"what if the hash for A is right but the hash for B is wrong".

It's fine to go down the multisig route in this document, and it's fine to punt
for a decade or three until a problem is found with SHA256 and SHA384. There
are costs for both decisions.

--Paul Hoffman