On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 at 09:56, Dave Crocker <d...@dcrocker.net> wrote:

> On 11/4/2018 6:28 PM, Erik Kline wrote:
> > One thing I missed earlier (and please forgive me if this was already
> > discussed), was whether or not _example* should be reserved in the
> > table in draft-ietf-dnsop-attrleaf-15#section-4.3.
> >
> > Basically, is there any value in reserving _example* for future RFCs
> > to use (ones that don't care about the specific _foo label but apply
> > to all such labels in some way).
>

> Clever suggestion.  Seems like obvious benefit with no obvious detriment.
>
> So I immediately went to add it and then realized that doing this
> cleanly will take an entry for each RR...
>
> Not so sure we want to do that?

Perhaps doable via a {see section #X.Y} e.g.:

              | *       | _example* {see #X.Y} | [this doc]  |

X.Y Reserved _example* label
    For use in RFC documentation describing behaviour applicable to
any label associate with any RR type. More awesome text also goes
here.

I'm not sure about the strictness requirements for this kind of table for IANA.

Also, this doesn't address whether it's an actually useful suggestion. :-)