On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 03:33:23PM -0500,
 Warren Kumari <war...@kumari.net> wrote
 a message of 388 lines which said:

> but how about:
> "The majority of these extended error codes are primarily useful for
> resolvers, to return to stub resolvers or to downstream
> resolvers. Authoritative servers may also use this technique to
> annotate errors (for example, REFUSED), but as of publication there
> are not as many of these defined"

OK

> > > 4.4.1.  NXDOMAIN Extended DNS Error Code 1 - Blocked
> > >
> > >   The resolver attempted to perfom a DNS query but the domain is
> > >   blacklisted due to a security policy.
> >
> > I tend to think it would be a good idea to separate the case where
> > the policy was decided by the resolver and the case where the
> > policy came from outside, typically from the local law (see RFC
> > 7725 for a similar case with HTTP).
> >
> > Rationale: in the first case (local policy of the resolver), the
> > user may be interested in talking with the resolver admin if he or
> > she disagrees with the blocking. In the second case, this would be
> > useless.

You did not reply to this one. It is inspired by a message from Petr
Špaček
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/b3wtVj_aWm24PXyHr1M9NMj3LJ0>
explaining how extended DNS errors would be great to tell the user
whose fault it is (signature expired == no need to tell the resolver's
operator). I really think it is important to make the difference between:

* I blocked your request because that's _my_ policy
* I blocked your request because I'm compelled to do so, don't
  complain, it would be useless.

> > NOERROR Extended DNS Error Code 3 - Forged answer

> I'd really like to avoid the word "Forged"

I did not know it was pejorative (in french, "forgée", which has the
same origin, is not). So, what about "substituted answer"? Neutral
enough?