> On 26 Mar 2019, at 18:23, Brian Dickson <brian.peter.dick...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The options are, new RRtypes that require resolver upgrades, or RRtypes that
> are handled by the client application (browser), which benefit from (but do
> not require) resolver upgrades.

The current draft is neither of those (and I think maybe you excluded it from
your list because you don’t consider it viable, for good reasons, but...)

Whatever new thing we come up with, my view is that it will need sibling
address records for backwards compatibility, otherwise no-one can deploy it.
(Or at least, that new thing won’t make my job easier any time soon.) So there
has to be some kind of provisioning or authoritative hack to make it easy to
automatically add address records that have the same effect as the ANAME or
HTTP record that they are supporting. (Remember, the existing non-standard
alias stuff exists because it is easier than standard DNS.)

Ray Bellis thinks (quite reasonably) that there is a good chance that an HTTP
specific record can be deployed fairly quickly, because browser upgrades are
impressively fast these days. I’m less enthusiastic about telling DNS admins to
look at caniuse.com before they decide whether to put in an HTTP record.

(On the gripping hand, based on the support queries I have answered, an HTTP302
record [an http redirect in the dns] would be a lot closer to what many
webmasters expect!)

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at