I'd also like it to say more clearly up front that .ALT is for names that are
totally outside the DNS protocols, not for names handled locally using DNS
protocols.
It's for things like .onion, not like .local.

Both .onion and .local use protocols other than the DNS, acknowledging of
course that the protocol used for names under .local is quite DNS-like.

My wording wasn't great -- .local resolves to an IP address while .alt doesn't.

Did I miss the conversation where the working group decided to pivot? (Not a rhetorical question! I am very prepared for the answer to be yes :-) If anybody has a handy pointer to the relevant part of the mailing list archive I'd appreciate it.

If you mean draft-arends-private-use-tld, that was tilting at a different windmill.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY