Miek Gieben <m...@miek.nl> writes:

> [ Quoting <o...@ogud.com> in "Re: [DNSOP] nsec3-parameters opinio..." ]
> >The document should strongly discourage any use of NSEC3 <full stop>
>
> I would very much see a sentence/paragraph stating this in the
> document as well.

Folks, can we boil this down to a concrete suggestion.  Section 3.1
already says this:

   First, if the operational or security features of NSEC3 are not
   needed, then NSEC SHOULD be used in preference to NSEC3.  NSEC3
   requires greater computational power for both authoritative servers
   and validating clients.  Specifically, there is a non trivial
   complexity in finding matching NSEC3 records to randomly generated
   prefixes within a DNS zone.  NSEC mitigates this concern, and if
   NSEC3 must be used then selecting a low iterations count will help
   alleviate this computational burden.  Note that deploying NSEC with
   minimally covering NSEC records [RFC4470] also incures a cost, and
   zone owners should measure the computational difference in deploying
   both RFC4470 or NSEC3.

Which is fairly strong (SHOULD [use NSEC]) with reasoning behind the
statement already.  How do you think we should specifically change that
text?
--
Wes Hardaker
USC/ISI