De : Ted Lemon <mel...@fugue.com>
Envoyé : vendredi 7 juillet 2023 14:06
À : BOUCADAIR Mohamed INNOV/NET <mohamed.boucad...@orange.com>
Cc : Philip Homburg <pch-v6ops...@u-1.phicoh.com>; v6...@ietf.org; Xipengxiao
<xipengxiao=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>; dnsop <dnsop@ietf.org>
Objet : Re: [v6ops] [DNSOP] WG call for adoption:
draft-momoka-v6ops-ipv6-only-resolver-01

FWIW the approach we took for Thread was to require that devices do DNS64
locally, which is consistent with what you are saying, Med. So Thread BRs do
not do DNS64: they provide a NAT64 prefix that hosts on the Thread mesh can use
to synthesize IPv6 addresses after the resolver has discovered them.

In this scenario, a DNS resolver would in fact do NAT64 to query an IPv4 name
server. But it would never do DNS64 other than in the way Med is suggesting: if
it discovers that there is no AAAA record for a particular authoritative
server, it would use an A record to synthesize the IPv6 address directly. It
was my understanding that that is what this document recommends, but perhaps I
am wrong?

It's definitely a problem, BTW, if the upstream resolver from the Thread host
does DNS64. We can't really prevent that, though, and it will work as long as
DNSSEC isn't being done, but if DNSSEC is being done, we expect to get answers
that aren't synthesized. So part of the reason I'm engaging in this
conversation is that if we think that will work, but it won't, I'd like to know
more.

On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:32 AM
<mohamed.boucad...@orange.com<mailto:mohamed.boucad...@orange.com>> wrote:
Hi all,

> So instead of creating documents for every possible protocol that
> uses IPv4 literals, why not create one document that describes how
> to deal with IPv4 literals in existing protocols in the context of
> NAT64?

We do already have rfc7051 + many pref64 discovery RFCs out there. RFC7051 says:

   Below is (an incomplete) list of various
   use cases where it is beneficial for a host or an application to know
   the presence of a NAT64 and the NSP/WKP:

   o  ..

   o  Protocols that use IPv4 literals.  In IPv6-only access, native
      IPv4 connections cannot be created.  If a network has NAT64, it is
      possible to synthesize an IPv6 address by combining the IPv4
      literal and the IPv6 prefix used by NAT64.  The synthesized IPv6
      address can then be used to create an IPv6 connection.

   o  ...

   o  URI schemes with host IPv4 address literals rather than domain
      names (e.g., http://192.0.2.1<http://192.0.2.1/>,
ftp://192.0.2.1<ftp://192.0.2.1/>, imap://192.0.2.1<http://192.0.2.1/>,
      ipp://192.0.2.1<http://192.0.2.1/>).  A host can synthesize an IPv6
address out of
      the literal in the URI and use IPv6 to create a connection through
      NAT64.

Cheers,
Med

falsifie. Merci.