You are right. My state mass observation was meant for the prior -1 where Joe
referred to udp as a legacy protocol. Apologies for the slop.

p vixie

On Jul 17, 2023 17:15, David Conrad <d...@virtualized.org> wrote:

Mark,

On Jul 17, 2023, at 4:23 PM, Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>> Joe is (correctly, IMHO) pointing out that given there is a need to support
>> TCP-based DNS queries (see RFC 7766), prudent engineering would suggest you
>> need to prepare for attacks against that infrastructure. As such arguing
>> “state has mass” appears to miss the point.
> And most servers will never see a DoS attack.

And most servers (particularly the ones that wouldn’t see a DoS attack)
wouldn’t notice the strain of TCP-based DNS requests. So?

> TCP also puts much more load on recursive servers.  It slows down the
> resolution process.  DOT and DOH put even more load on recursive and
> authoritative servers.

Again, missing the point, unless you believe there are going to be fewer
TCP-based DNS queries over time and RFC 7766 should be deprecated.

Engineering to how the Internet was in the past may not be an optimal strategy.

Regards,
-drc