I'd like to write a draft that updates RFC 9156 by describing
situations like this that caches could recognize and avoid useless
churn, added to section 2.3 which already suggests special casing
underscored labels.

I must confess that I do not see what is suggested in this thread
which is not already in section 2.3. Unbound implements some of the
RFC ways, see its iterator/iterator.h (all parameters named
*MINIMISE*).

If you see a name that is four all-digit labels and it's not in in-addr.arpa, stop minimizing and just send the query. Similar for 18 hex digits not in ip6.arpa. I realize these are specific cases but at least in the mail world they are very common ones and minimization more than doubles the traffic DNSBLs would otherwise get.

Again, there might be others.  Data eagerly sought.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY