On May 1, 2024, at 07:32, Philip Homburg <pch-dnso...@u-1.phicoh.com> wrote:

>> Their zone is already made insecure by a number of OS/DNS implementation
>> combos. Perhaps someone with RIPE Atlas credits can run a check like the
>> equivalent of "dig dnskey nic.kpn +dnssec" to see how many endusers
>> already get insecure answers for this?
>
> This reads as Redhat strong-arming the IETF into adopting a draft that has
> no technical merit. The number of OS/DNS comboes that you refer to are all
> from or related to Redhat.

This seems a bit exaggerated. I don't see Red Hat here promoting changes in the
DNSSEC standards.

I think it's uncontentious to say that maintaining DNSSEC software on affected
platforms has become more complex. Complexity is not an obvious friend of
operational security. The platforms concerned are in widespread use. Regardless
of whose business decision triggered the situation, it's certainly possible to
agree that the situation exists and that it is more likely to get worse over
time than better, e.g. as other OS vendors follow suit and SHA-1 support
disappears from crypto libraries.

There are other reasons to deprecate SHA-1 in DNSSEC than mathematical concern
about the use of that particular digest algorithm in the protocol. Problems
with SHA-1 definitively exist in other places, in protocols that are in much
more widespread use than DNSSEC. For example, a message that says "stop using
SHA-1" might be more effective at fixing TLS implementations than a message
that says "stop using SHA-1 unless you are using it in one of the following
ways, in which case it's totally fine". From the perspective of DNSSEC, "stop
using SHA-1" might be a much more effective message to communicate at the same
time that everybody else is saying it than ten years later.

On the other hand, I have not seen any particularly compelling argument that
MUST NOTting SHA-1 will cause the sky to fall. A handful of responses signed by
people who are not paying attention will stop being validated. Security and not
paying attention are usually related, and not in a good way.

I don't think talk about "Red Hat strong-arming the IETF" is very sensible.

Joe