Hi Erik,

Thanks for your review!

On 5/5/24 00:18, Erik Kline via Datatracker wrote:
## Comments

### S7

* Should there be some kind of registration or reservation for the "_dsboot"
   meaning and usage described in this document?
The authors were wondering as well.

We figured that unlike in case of the existing underscore registry, the issue
seems less pressing:

The _dsboot etc. labels are under the "main" underscore label right in front of the
nameserver name. As a result, the signaling type label (like _dsboot) is somewhat
"shielded", in the sense that they are only used under the signaling mechanism, i.e., by
DNS operators announcing stuff about their managed zones. Given the limited target group for the
signaling mechanism overall, collisions seem less likely than with underscore labels in general.

The authors are also not sure under which conditions such registries should or
should not be erected. In short, we don't really have an answer to your
question, except that less may be more, but it's not clear.

That said, the authors think "why not", and if you wish, we can add a section
to address this. I imagine this would be something like RFC 8552 Section 4.1 [1]. This
would add ~2 pages to the draft, unless there's a shorter way to do it.

[1]: https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8552#section-4.1

Thanks,
Peter and Nils

--