On Jul 9, 2014, at 3:57 AM, Jelte Jansen <jelte.jan...@sidn.nl> wrote:

> On 07/09/2014 09:46 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> Is there a trend towards _less_ DNSSEC problems, with time? This is
>> not obvious. nasa.gov just botched a key rollover.
>>
>> The problem (DS to a non-existing key)
>> http://dnsviz.net/d/nasa.gov/U7yzSQ/dnssec/
>>

> Only local, so I can't say anything about global trends, but we've been
> running a validation monitor where we notify registrars of DNSSEC errors
> that are encountered in the wild (The DNSSEC Validation Monitor; the
> extended description is in Dutch but here are some slides about it:
> https://www.sidnlabs.nl/uploads/tx_sidnpublications/DNSSEC_Validation_Monitor.pdf).
>
> DS to no keys at all (usually after a registrar move) tends to be the
> error that happens most. But within .nl, there is definitely a trend
> downwards.

Haven't been tracking errors like I did, but there was a downward trend 2 years
ago.  From 10% of signed .gov having errors to below 1%.  Recent weeks, there
has been an increase in failures and going from signed to unsigned (by a few
zones).

My initial guess is that these errors are due to operational changes: people
moving on, new vendor, etc. and a failure to document procedures.  Could also
be due to simple complacency.

Scott