On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Michael Sinatra <mich...@brokendns.net> wrote:

> On 12/26/14 09:16, Michael Richardson wrote:
>> Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:
>>     mcr> It's not a question of: "can we do this", but rather a question of:
>> if
>>     mcr> we do it, then it needs to be done correctly, which means some test
>>     mcr> cases and test data, and this takes a non-zero amount of time.
>>     mcr>
>>     mcr> Could the effort be better spent elsewhere?
>>
>>     > Additionally with DLV we also need to be able to validate which means
>>     > more than upgrading OpenSSL.  It also means getting the ruby libraries
>>     > upgraded etc.
>>
>> Yes, I was trying to leave the underlying technical hurdles aside
>> (because, I'm sure, when given the mandate, I can deal with them in short
>> order) and focus on the political and testability hurdles and intentions for
>> this list..
>>
>> Given that DLV will be sunset'ed, are new algorithms important to this
>> community?
>
> In a way, I don't really care.  I think it's reasonable to sunset ISC
> DLV in the way you have suggested.  I (unlike many) don't have a strong
> opinion about DLV other than it has worked for me at a time when
> registrars would not or could not support DNSSEC.  That's why it's the
> first place I went when I found that my registrar couldn't/wouldn't
> support algorithms 13 and 14.
>
> To respond more to the thread, while I have tested resolvers at being
> able to validate ECDSA keys, it's hard to have *others* validate my
> zone, unless I have a registrar who will take the proper DS records.

Just wanted to make sure that you'd seen Geoff Huston's ECDSA DNSSEC testing...

https://labs.ripe.net/Members/gih/ecdsa-and-dnssec
Also a PPT at: www.potaroo.net/presentations/2014-10-12-ecc.pptx

Is mostly unrelated to the registrar question, but interesting to
understand deployment, etc.

>  So
> my larger concern revolves around how we can reliably introduce new
> algorithms, which is important to keep DNSSEC secure, when most
> registrars don't support DNSSEC at all, and none so far seem to be
> keeping up with the latest algs.  (It's good to hear that GoDaddy will
> be doing that; thanks for the info.)
>
> Thanks also for the info about PairNIC.  I didn't realize they supported
> DNSSEC--that's good to know.
>
> Final thought: There are two weak links in DNSSEC.  One is the root key,
> and the other is the registrars.  If the root key gets messed up in some
> way, everyone's validation basically fails.  If the registrars don't
> implement new algorithms, it's basically an algorithm downgrade for
> everyone, even if the registries do implement all algorithms.  I am NOT
> trying to be a troll here, but the nice thing about DLV is that it used
> an alternate mechanism to establish a chain of trust that didn't rely on
> registrars or the root key.  As Mark pointed out, that did force DLV
> operators into a CA-type role, which may be less than desirable.
>
> Again, I think it's reasonable to sunset ISC DLV.  But I do think we
> should keep somewhere the idea of alternative validation mechanisms that
> could be configured somewhat differently than DLV, i.e. as a backup to
> the regular top-down validation mechanism.
>
> michael

idea in the first place.
of pants.
   ---maf