***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

More:
http://www.personaldemocracy.com/conference

From:
http://www.personaldemocracy.com/node/584

A Quick Guide to the Second Annual Personal Democracy Forum, This Monday, May
16
By Micah L. Sifry, 05/11/2005 - 10:04pm

With the second annual Personal Democracy Forum just days away, anticipation
is building. Here's a thumbnail sketch of what to expect:

First, a wonderfully varied and experienced array of presenters, including
Tucker Eskew (Eskew Strategy Group), Scott Heiferman (CEO of Meetup.com), Hugh
Hewitt (The Hugh Hewitt Show), Arianna Huffington (The Huffington Report),
Jeff Jarvis (BuzzMachine.com), Dianah Neff (CIO of Philadelphia), Joshua Micah
Marshall (TalkingPointsMemo), Markos Moulitsas (DailyKos.com), Craig Newmark
(Craigslist), Jay Rosen (PressThink), Doc Searls (Linux Journal), Dave Sifry
(Technorati and my officially smarter little brother), Andy Stern (SEIU
President), and Omar Wasow (BlackPlanet.com).

Second, a clear theme. If I had to put it in one word, it would be "networks."
Politics is no longer the province solely of big organizations, big-name
politicians and big-foot journalists. In the last year, we've seen the
blossoming of a 24-7 cosmos of self-starting, citizen-driven networks of
bloggers and activists, some working in concert with older players and some
totally new and independent. They’re raising their own issues, conducting
their own investigations, and building their own powerful coalitions.

The Morning Brew
We're going to come at this theme from many different angles through the
course of the day. Starting us off, Meetup’s Scott Heiferman will give us a
vision of the "Napsterization of organization." Then Mindy Finn, the deputy
director of eCampaigns for the Republican National Committee, will offer the
political insider's perspective. Closing the circle, Martin Kearns, who
advises an array of enviro groups, will explain the emerging world of "network-
centric advocacy."

Then, for the rest of the morning, the main auditorium will be focused on this
phenomenon of networks as it is playing out across the political blogosphere.
Dr. Michael Cornfield and Jonathan Carson will unveil the first harvest of
their study of the role of top political bloggers in the last two months of
the 2004 election, using a unique database of over one million messages
gleaned from blogs, political chat sites, mainstream media coverage and the
presidential campaigns themselves. Prepare to be surprised at what they're
finding. Grassroots Media’s Dan Gillmor will offer a first response to their
draft report, and hopefully Mike Krempasky--whose site Rathergate is at the
center of one of their case studies--will have some comments as well.

That'll be followed by three "high-order bits" (i.e. short, data- and idea-
rich presentations) from Dave Sifry, Doc Searls and Leslie Harris, Senior
Advisor at the Center for Democracy and Technology. Dave will map the growth
of the blogosphere and help us see how the biggest blogs are starting to rival
top news sites, while at the same time show how the "long tail" of millions of
bloggers is creating a new media system far more influential than any group of
brand-names. Doc will challenge us to expand our understanding of the Net as a
place, not a pipeline, and offer a ringing call to keep it free from
government interference. Which will lead right into Leslie's offering: some
baseline principles for keeping the Federal Election Commission from over-
reacting to the rise of robust political speech online.

Meanwhile, the first of our breakout sessions will be taking place
simultaneously. In one room, a diverse group of tech organizers--Allison Fine
(E-volve), Kaliya Hamlin (Planetwork), Mike Krempasky (RedState.org), Jo Lee
(CitizenSpeak), Sheldon Rampton (Center for Media and Democracy), and Dan
Robinson (CivicActions), moderated by Christian Crumlish (author of The Power
of Many )--will offer a guide to the best free and/or cheap tools that anyone
can use to enhance their organizing power. And in the other breakout room, two
panels will explore two very different but equally important subcultures
online: first, conservative talk show host and blogger, Hugh Hewitt and
BeliefNet's editor-in-chief Steve Waldman will describe the varied worlds of
religious faith online, with Halley Suitt of Halley's Comment moderating their
talk. Then Omar Wasow of BlackPlanet.com (which has over 16 million members),
Chris Rabb of Afro-Netizen and Liza Sabater of CultureKitchen will delve into
the changing dynamics of African-American community on the Web.

Then we'll have a short mid-morning break. You might use it to visit with our
stellar array of conference sponsors and exhibitors, including Burson-
Marsteller, Civicspace, ElectionMall Technologies, iStandfor, Kintera,
Leadership Directories and the Open Resource Group.

You also may find yourself accosted by the CNN film crew that will be
attending the conference, or some of the many other working journalists coming
to cover the event. Be nice to them. Especially be nice to our own Brian
Reich, who will be posting a rapid-fire series of podcasts from the
conference, featuring his own commentary and interviews with many of our
speakers and attendees. (Luckily for him, podcasting gear weighs a lot less
than that satellite dish and transmitting equipment Al Franken wore when
pretending to cover the presidential election as a free-standing correspondent
for Saturday Night Live.

An A-List Clash?
Then, we'll all reconvene in the main auditorium for a big panel with a
deceptively modest title: Using the Net to Move Your Issue. The speakers,
Carol Darr (Institute for Politics, Democracy and the Internet), Hugh Hewitt,
Joshua Micah Marshall, Markos Moulitsas, and Christopher Rabb, are sure to
clash on a variety of questions, and stand-alone journalist Chris Nolan, who
will be moderating, assures me that there will be absolutely no time wasted on
the "Are bloggers journalists" question.

Following lunch, we ease back into the forum with three simultaneous
breakouts. The first, for people who want to learn the best practices in
online political advertising, features three speakers who have basically
defined the field: Michael Bassik, who has managed online ads for a host of
Dems from John Kerry and the DNC on down; Eric Porres, who can match Michael
campaign-for-campaign, only on the other side of the aisle; and Henry
Copeland, whose Blogads platform leads the emerging field of, well, blog ads.
The second breakout will herald the arrival of a new book, Extreme Democracy,
and feature comments from several people who’ve written chapters in it. If you
want to understand the flowering -- or emergence -- of people-driven/tech-
powered politics in the last few years, this book is essential. And finally,
for those who want to delve deeper into the challenging legal issues raised by
the FEC's impending rule-making on regulating the Internet, our third breakout
group will continue chewing on the question, with longtime campaign finance
expert Ellen Miller moderating and Mike Krempasky, one of the leaders of the
online campaign to keep the FEC out of this arena adding his view from the
trenches.

Then back to plenary mode for another look at the new potential of tapping
networks, as seen through the experience of one of the country's top labor
organizers, Andy Stern, president of the Service Employees International
Union, the nation's fastest growing union. Unlike many of his contemporaries,
he's exploring the new technology with alacrity, starting his own blog and
developing a new online activist arm, PurpleOcean.org, in the hopes of re-
igniting labor's fortunes. (I'll be interviewing him one-on-one. Luckily he's
a really easy guy to talk to!)

Wifi? Because!
Stern will be followed by a colloquy on the promise of municipal wifi, another
way to bring networks to more people. One of the country's leaders in this
burgeoning movement, Dianah Neff, the Chief Information Officer of the City of
Philadelphia, will offer her insights on the importance of this fight and how
to win it. And then PDF founder Andrew Rasiej, a candidate for New York City
Public Advocate who is making universal low-cost wifi a central theme of his
campaign, will add his observations on why the moment for this issue has come.

We'll split again at this point for a choice of three breakouts. The first, in
the main auditorium, will focus on how politics overseas is changing. Trading
insights will be Zack Exley, fresh off a stint working for the Tony
Blair/Labor campaign in England; Harish Rao, a Dean campaign veteran who just
spent a few weeks aiding the bloggers of Beirut in their fight for democracy;
Hossein "Hoder" Derakshan, the Iranian who started the Persian blogging
movement (where one of the current presidential candidates blogs!); and Nathon
Gunn, who helped run Paul Martin's Internet campaign for Prime Minister of
Canada. They’ll be assisted by moderator Rebecca MacKinnon, who has been all
over the world lately building the Global Voices blogging movement.

The second breakout, "Changing Your Organization's Internal Culture," is for
participants who want to take what they're learning back to their own
organization and make sure real change starts to happen. Two leaders who are
in the midst of that very effort, Gina Glantz at the SEIU and Jed Miller at
the ACLU, will help frame the discussion, and Michael Gordon (Group Gordon),
Marty Kearns (Green Media Toolshed), Online Organizer Amanda Michel and Ravi
Singh of ElectionMall Technologies will round it off, poked and prodded by
moderator Andrew Rasiej.

Our third breakout is for people who like lists -- the email kind -- and want
to know more about how best to build them and how to engage their base in
meaningful action. Several experienced veterans, Tom Matzzie of MoveOn,
William Greene of RightMarch, Kathy Mitchell of Consumers Union, Greg Nelson
of CTSG/Kintera and Juan Proano of Plus Three, will ground this panel in their
hard-won experience. And moderator Matt Stoller will make sure to keep it
lively.

Clues to the Future
After another break, we close out the day with two plenaries. The first, a
conversation between Craig Newmark, the founder of community bulletin board
giant Craigslist, and Zephyr Teachout, one of the Dean campaign's online
organizing whizzes, will explore whether a Craigslist-type site focused on
enabling political activity could work. One clue: it's harder than it looks.

The second panel, an all-star discussion on the future of political media,
will feature Chuck Defeo, who went from running the Bush/Cheney ‘04 online
campaign to advising talk radio conglomerate Salem Communications on its Web
efforts; Tucker Eskew, deputy assistant to President Bush until the end of
2003 and a top communications strategist; Arianna Huffington, the columnist
and former gubernatorial candidate whose new mega-blog, The Huffington Post,
is making a huge splash; Jeff Jarvis, the former editor of Entertainment
Weekly whose BuzzMachine.com blog is must-reading on an hourly basis; and Jay
Rosen, the NYU press critic who regularly serves up the most thoughtful
dissections of the new and old media on his blog PressThink. Jennifer 8. Lee,
a reporter who is one of The New York Times’ rising stars, will make sure the
trains run on time during this dynamite discussion.

After which, we'll all retire to a nearby bar, Coda, for a more than well-
earned drink. Or three. And a chance to keep networking, the old-way. If you
haven't registered yet for the conference, there's still space, and you can
register online here. Or, we'll likely be able to accommodate you at the door
(it's at the CUNY Graduate Center, 365 Fifth Ave at 34th Street). If you're
already registered, we're looking forward to meeting you, and continuing the
conversation we've had on this site....

--
Steven Clift
http://publicus.net