***  Democracies Online Newswire  -  http://dowire.org ***
***  Headlines from top blogs: http://dowire.org/feeds ***

Blogged at:
http://www.dowire.org/notes/?p=61

E-Petitioning - Asking the Scottish Parliament to debate funding for
the Scottish Civic Forum

Over the last decade Scotland has been a hot-bed of democratic
renewal. Recently, funding for the “active citizenship” building
Scottish Civic Forum has been cut by the Scottish Executive. In past
years you’ve heard me praise the Scottish Parliament for their online
activities and e-petitioning. For those interested in e-petitioning
within -formal- representative process this is one to watch. Be sure
to note the discussion feature of which I was not previously aware:
http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_petition.asp?PetitionID=
70
http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/discuss_petition.asp?Petition
ID=70

What is so important about this online process is that it formally
accommodates “anywhere, any time” participation within the construct
of official representative processes. I suppose a question with the
Scottish Civic Forum, is to what extent should the representatives
support the general voice of civil society and active citizens
outside of parliament/the executive versus dealing with relatively
resource rich interest groups. (From my experience, few citizens want
to individually donate to “democratic overhead” unless it advocates
for their beliefs - so foundations and governments are the only real
source of support for “active citizenship.”)

Before a bunch of non-Scots sign on, Prof. Stephen Coleman raised
some good questions on the Do-Consult forum about the call to sign
the petition, which is shared just below:

    Before signing such a position, or agreeing that the forum should be
    funded, I would like to know more.

    How many people use it?

    What affect has the forum had on decisions made by the Executive or
    Parliament?

    Has the forum been independently evaluated?

    What arguments has the Executive given for not supporting the forum?

    Let’s form a balanced judgement before rushing into this. (And just
    how many petition signatures from non-Scots is the Executive supposed
    to take notice of, anyway?)

Also see:
http://www.civicforum.org
http://www.scotland.gov.uk